Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Hats, Tea and a Worthy Cause

This past weekend my daughter and I got invited to a tea party that my friend Jodi and her daughter hosted. Jodi asked guests to bring items to help a local domestic violence shelter. I realized that I had never specifically talked to my daughter about domestic violence and took the opportunity to talk about the topic while we shopped for toiletries to donate.


Before the party, we also made hats together for the hat contest that was going to take place at the party. We got $2 straw hats at a craft store and my daughter decorated both hats using ribbon, butterflies from the dollar store and some ribbon. She was very proud of the hats that she made for both of us.

This would also make an inexpensive and fun project for a birthday party or sleepover.

At the party, we tasted various teas and voted on our favorite hats. My daughter was thrilled to drink out of the tea cups and I realized at the party that she had never had hot tea. She was fascinated by the different types (her favorite was raspberry) and enjoyed dropping the sugar into the hot tea.

Jodi had information on the various domestic abuse shelters in the area and brought the donated items to the shelter after the party. Both the grownups and the kids had a great time at the tea and we helped a worthy cause.

I thought that this was a great way to socialize with friends and help others at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment