Wednesday, May 12, 2010

How I Got My Kids to Eat Zucchini

Both of my kids are pretty limited to the vegetables that they will eat. Laurel pretty much only eats green beans while my son’s repertoire also includes broccoli. However, last summer my husband decided to plant a vegetable garden with the kids. Since we were already into late spring when he planted it, he bought some plants from the garden store to save time. Our garden included tomatoes, jalapeño peppers, squash, zucchini, eggplant and even a watermelon plant.

I figured that the kids would enjoy the garden and wasn’t surprised when they spent a lot of time taking care of it. But I was totally shocked when my children actually ate the vegetables that they had grown. Both kids discovered that they actually enjoyed squash and eggplant. Zucchini didn’t get as high of marks, but at least they tried it.

This year my husband started the garden earlier in a small greenhouse box that he bought and we started some plants from seeds. My son is very proud of the fact that he is actually growing his own broccoli. We transplanted the plants into our vegetable garden and are looking forward to watching them grow.

It’s not too late to start a vegetable garden with your kids this year. Garden stores sell a large variety of vegetable plants that will help you get started. Even if you don’t have a space to plant a vegetable garden, you can grow some tomatoes in a container. We had very good luck last year with the Big Boy and Better Boy variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment