Monday, July 19, 2010

A quarter for my time

When possible I try to use natural consequences with my kids. One of the problems that we've been having lately is that both of my kids "forget" to put up their dishes after eating, put their socks away or put their dirty clothes  in the hamper. I usually have to remind them several times and I end up frustrated.

Two weeks ago, I put a post it note on the fridge and told them that each time I had to remind them of one of these things that I would put a mark next to the week. At the end of the week, they would have to pay me a quarter from their allowance for each mark. I explained that because reminding them to do things that were there responsibility took time, they would be paying me for the time that I spent. The first week, one child lost two dollars and the other lost $1.50. By the third week, I didn't have to write any marks at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment