Friday, April 23, 2010

Kids and Blogging

As I was researching ways to encourage your child to write over summer break for an article, I was intrigued by the idea having your child set up a private blog.

When I mentioned the idea to Laurel, my eight-year old daughter, she said “Wow, now I’m going to be a real author.” So I have decided to set up a free blog for her on http://www.blogger.com/ or http://www.wordpress.com/ to help make practicing writing to be less of a chore. To keep her safe online, I will make it a private blog and keep it password protected. I plan on inviting friends and family to read her blog and encouraging them to comment. I am hopeful that this is going to help get the kids excited about writing and will let you know how it goes.

Anyone else set up a blog for their kids? How did it go? Any hints or tips?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for a great idea, Jennifer! My daughter is ten and LOVES writing short stories. I will definitely look into setting up a blog for her so that she can share her work with our family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea. I'm in the process of setting up my daughter a private blog. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 8-year old has a blog, too. She isn't a particularly faithful to it, but when something exciting happens she blogs. We have found that it is also a great way for her to stay in touch with friends as we move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My 11 yr old son has two blogs! He's as ambitious as his mom! One blog is a video series he creates with his friend and yougner brother (just silly random things.) His second blog is to showcase his short stories and poems. He's had some positive comments on both. I agree that we should use modern technology to benefit our kids' writing & communication skills.

    ReplyDelete