Friday, June 11, 2010

Book Review: Momology: A Mom's Guide to Shaping Great Kids

I recently finished reading “Momology: A Mom’s Guide to Shaping Great Kids” by Shelly Radic. The premise of the book is that mothering is both an art and a science. Many days, I feel that other moms are doing the job of mothering better than me, but this book made me feel less alone and realize that all mom’s struggle. One of the things that sets this book apart from other mothering books is the Christian focus and the practical advice spread throughout the book.

The book is divided into four sections; Core, Fitness, Circle and Grandscape. The only negative I can say about the book is sometimes I found the section divisions and numbering to be a bit confusing. I personally found the Core section to be the most personally applicable and it made me realize all the different people in our lives who love and support our family. I also found the practical advice in this section about connecting with your spouse when you have small children in your home to be very helpful.

Another idea that I found really helpful from the book is that mom’s need to evaluate the time and energy that daily tasks/chores take from their day and make any changes that they can. I found the list of common mom daily duties to be helpful and made me realize how many things I do each day that I can probably reprioritize. I also thought that the specific advice on creating a family schedule and scheduling time to be useful.

Throughout the book, Radic includes “Voices”, which are short tips from real moms and “Field Study” which are stories about relevant situations that other mom’s have encountered. I really enjoyed both of these sections and they helped me to apply the authors points to my own life.

I highly recommend this book to any mom’s looking to find ways to enjoy their days of being a mother more.

“Available June 2010 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

**Although Revell provided this book to me, this review is my honest opinion and thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment